An auto accident can be a painful and confusing process and cause a grave amount of damages– both vehicular and medical in nature. Many people are at a loss of what to do after and during a car crash.
With questions from cops, raging emotions, potentially conflicting opinions of what actually happened, finding a knowledgeable accident lawyer in New Hampshire and the overall unnavigated territory of having an accident it can all be overwhelming. There are a few things you should do immediately following a car accident to ensure your safety and protect yourself from liability.
Steps to take after a collision:
- Do your best to move your car to the side of the road away from danger. If this cannot be done, find a safe time to get out of your car and move yourself away from traffic.
- Once you’ve checked on the other driver(s) involved in the accident, call the local police. If any serious injuries have been sustained by any involved parties call 9-1-1.
- A police report will be conducted once the officer is on the scene. This document is important, and you or your personal injury attorney should acquire a copy of the report as soon as possible.
- Take photographs of any damages, debris, etc. These pictures will be helpful to your attorney and to insurance companies. Also consider taking photos of your injuries, bruises, and recovery process. Remember, some bruises take 24-48 hours to really show up so take many photos. Pics of stitches, scarring etc. can go a long way in convincing the adjuster that they should settle your case and not let a jury see those photos.
- Exchange information with involved parties and any people who may have witnessed the collision.
- Make sure you have an attorney on your side
- Notify your own insurance company immediately following the accident to let them know it did occur.
- STAY OFF OF SOCIAL MEDIA. Remember that insurance companies have unlimited resources, they have legions of staff scouring the internet every day for anything that you might post regarding the crash or your recovery. In this day of advancing AI, there are programs available to do this for them, stay off of all social media regarding anything concerning the crash or your recovery.
Other helpful tips to use after a car accident:
Note that other resources may be available to you, including witness reports and red light camera photos. Be sure to obtain medical attention right away even if your injuries do not seem grave– it’s better to be safe than sorry when you’re dealing with a potential personal injury case. Keep all record of financial expenses incurred because of the accident, including towing expenses, medical bills, etc. Remember that just because the police report says one party was at fault does not mean the insurance companies will rule in agreement. Be cautious with the other party’s insurance company enters into the situation; they are not there to help you.
Why you should consult an attorney after a car accident:
An accident can be a trying time. Dealing with auto repair, insurance companies, medical bills, etc is something you don’t want to go through alone. Having a skilled New Hampshire personal injury attorney can help you navigate the situation and gather the personal injury facts.
Contact Auto Accident Attorneys Today
Call Seufert Law today for an experienced personal injury attorney to help with your case. Our car crash attorneys offer a free consultation when you call today. We look forward to helping you seek the justice you deserve.
For more information and a free consultation with one of our injury attorneys, contact Seufert Law Offices, P.A. by calling (603) 934-9837 today.